Skip to main content

Week 5: (7/1-7/5)

Happy July! Although this week was short with the holiday weekend, I was still able to get a lot done as well as create a game plan for the coming weeks! 


Mosquitoes: 

The results of last week's mesocosm study in a 5 L container was that the pupae lived but the larvae died. This was expected as fourth instars and pupae do not feed and therefore would not be impacted by the larvicide. I also started another mesocosm study this time with 2 5L buckets. The treatment was 1 microliter per liter. The larvae in each bucket were taken from the two different colonies that we have which is important for what we learned later in the week. 

This week I was able to do a lot of microscope work, which was really interesting for me. I looked at both live and dead larvae. I also learned the process of making permanent microscope slides which involved heat shocking the live larvae, then placing them in 80% ethanol to kill them, and lastly, 100% ethanol to dehydrate them. I learned the key identifications that make aedes albopictus different from other species (their pectin and comb scales). I made a microscope slide by adding euparal. On Wednesday, I evaluated the mesocosms, and the results were the same as last week! I then looked at some larvae from both buckets under the microscope in order to create voucher slides. One important thing that was found this week was that the colony that we started in the beginning of the summer has more than one type of mosquito in it. While we were looking under the scope, we found another type of larva. It was cool to see because I could actually compare a real specimen to the albopictus rather than a book, but it does cause some minor problems. We would prefer that all of the bioassays are done with aedes albopictus because it simplifies things for writing purposes, so we are going to have to be careful in the future. 

This week, we also did some colony maintenance in which we hatched new egg papers, refilled the oviposition papers, blood fed the mosquitoes, and fed the newly hatched larvae! 


Black Fly: 

One Tuesday, we treated the South Branch Raritan River for black flies! I believe we went to 8 or 9 different sites all along the river. I also went to one smaller creek this week to look for black fly pupae, but I was a little unsuccessful (found larvae but not pupae). Of course I took pictures at the black fly sites, so here is my favorite one from this week! 



In the upcoming week, I should be able to attend a field trial that is happening. I am very excited about that!! Hopefully I will be able to share what I learned there in next week’s update! I cannot believe that I am halfway through this internship. I have learned so much, and I am ready to continue this work for the second half of this summer!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Internship Blog!

 Hello! My name is Abby Golembiewski, and I am a biochemistry student at Villanova University. This summer I will be interning with the Hunterdon County Mosquito and Vector Control Program in Flemington, New Jersey. I am excited to gain experience in field and laboratory work while studying black flies and Asian tiger mosquitoes!!  

Week 4: (6/24-6/28)

  Black Fly:  This week, I did not do too much black fly work, but I was able to go to two small creeks to take samples from. However, at one of those sites we were unable to find any black fly (which is technically a good thing!). The other site was successful, so we added one more sample to the small creek collection. Below is a picture!! A lot of these black fly small creek spots are so pretty! Mosquitoes:  On the bioassay side of things this week, I first collected the 96 hour data from last Thursday. There were some interesting results, and when the Probit analysis was run, it said that our LD50 was 0.08 microliters/Liter. This is similar to the results we received last time (0.05 microliters/Liter). We then decided to start our first outdoor trial and scaled up to a “mesocosm” (5 L of larval water rather than 250 mL). We put 5 mL of 1 microliter/Liter solution into it. I took note that most of the larvae were dead within the first 24 hours, and they were all dead after 72 hours

Week 1 (6/3-6/7):

  During my first week as an intern, I got a taste for both lab and field work!! In the lab, I first learned common types of mosquitoes including the Asian Tiger mosquito or Aedes Albopictus, which we will be working with over the course of the summer. I worked with “Dr. Jack” Petersen a lot this week, and he was incredibly informative on all things mosquitoes! I was very excited to get started, and we set up a new infirmary as well as a sample bioassay on the first day. I already feel more confident in my ability to determine different life stages of the mosquitoes. Additionally, much of the first week was defining the first bioassay we are going to be running with Natular SC, which is a larvicide that would be new to New Jersey.  Our research question is how many microliters of Natular SC are needed to treat 100 L of larvae? We hope to answer the question through a regression and probit analysis of the data. We then decided 8 different concentrations to use for 8 different treatments