Skip to main content

Week 8 & 9: (7/22-8/2)

I decided to combine my week eight and nine blog posts because week nine got cut a little short due to my trip to Alaska! These two weeks involved a lot of prep work for outdoor studies using Natular SC. We filled 15 white buckets that hold about 7-8 Liters of water because we wanted mosquitoes to naturally colonize the buckets that we would later treat. We placed each of the 15 buckets in different locations on the campus. Throughout this time, we also treated some abandoned guardrails that we found on the campus with different concentrations of Natular SC.
The mosquito larvae that we found in the guardrails was mostly Aedes japonicus. The goal of the guardrails as well as the buckets is to create a separate probit analysis for outdoor studies. At first the concentrations we used were 1mL, 0.8mL, 0.6mL, 0.4mL, 0.2mL, and a control. However, after the first trial we realized that there was less volume in the guardrails than we thought, so the concentrations were more like 1mL, 1.5mL, 2mL, 2.5mL, and 3mL. While I was away, Dr. Jack Petersen and Lexi Crans ran trials on some of the buckets at different concentrations in order to retrieve data! During these two weeks, I also learned a lot about collecting egg boats and hatching them! The office hosted some high school students, and they helped to separate each individual egg boat into its own cup. The goal here is to start a pipiens colony! Additionally, I went on a field trip to the Pine Barrens in search of Wyeomyia smithii. We trekked through the woods to find pitcher plants, where these mosquitoes live. It happened to be very dry, so it was difficult to find them. However, we were able to find a small amount of larvae.
Above are some pictures from our search for Wyeomyia ssmithii. I also could not help myself, so below is a picture from beauitful Alaska! I didn't find any mosquitoes on my trip, but I would still recommend visiting if you get the chance one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Internship Blog!

 Hello! My name is Abby Golembiewski, and I am a biochemistry student at Villanova University. This summer I will be interning with the Hunterdon County Mosquito and Vector Control Program in Flemington, New Jersey. I am excited to gain experience in field and laboratory work while studying black flies and Asian tiger mosquitoes!!  

Week 4: (6/24-6/28)

  Black Fly:  This week, I did not do too much black fly work, but I was able to go to two small creeks to take samples from. However, at one of those sites we were unable to find any black fly (which is technically a good thing!). The other site was successful, so we added one more sample to the small creek collection. Below is a picture!! A lot of these black fly small creek spots are so pretty! Mosquitoes:  On the bioassay side of things this week, I first collected the 96 hour data from last Thursday. There were some interesting results, and when the Probit analysis was run, it said that our LD50 was 0.08 microliters/Liter. This is similar to the results we received last time (0.05 microliters/Liter). We then decided to start our first outdoor trial and scaled up to a “mesocosm” (5 L of larval water rather than 250 mL). We put 5 mL of 1 microliter/Liter solution into it. I took note that most of the larvae were dead within the first 24 hours, and they were all dead after 72 hours

Week 1 (6/3-6/7):

  During my first week as an intern, I got a taste for both lab and field work!! In the lab, I first learned common types of mosquitoes including the Asian Tiger mosquito or Aedes Albopictus, which we will be working with over the course of the summer. I worked with “Dr. Jack” Petersen a lot this week, and he was incredibly informative on all things mosquitoes! I was very excited to get started, and we set up a new infirmary as well as a sample bioassay on the first day. I already feel more confident in my ability to determine different life stages of the mosquitoes. Additionally, much of the first week was defining the first bioassay we are going to be running with Natular SC, which is a larvicide that would be new to New Jersey.  Our research question is how many microliters of Natular SC are needed to treat 100 L of larvae? We hope to answer the question through a regression and probit analysis of the data. We then decided 8 different concentrations to use for 8 different treatments